• If you are trying to reset your account password then don't forget to check spam folder in your mailbox. Also Mark it as "not spam" or you won't be able to click on the link.

To be or not to be gay or who/what is Gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

komaalrani

Topic was triggered by some discussion on a story thread, but here i am using " Gay' in different perspective.

The word gay arrived in English during the 12th century from Old French gai, most likely deriving ultimately from a Germanic source.

In English, the word's primary meaning was "joyful", "carefree", "bright and showy", and the word was very commonly used with this meaning in speech and literature. For example, the optimistic 1890s are still often referred to as the Gay Nineties. The title of the 1938 French ballet Gaîté Parisienne ("Parisian Gaiety"), which became the 1941 Warner Brothers movie, The Gay Parisian,[10] also illustrates this connotation..

By the late 17th century, it had acquired the specific meaning of "addicted to pleasures and dissipations", an extension of its primary meaning of "carefree" implying "uninhibited by moral constraints". A gay woman was a prostitute, a gay man a womanizer, and a gay house a brothel.

An example is a letter read to a London court in 1885 during the prosecution of brothel madam and procuress Mary Jeffries that had been written by a girl while slaved to a French brothel:

"I write to tell you it is a gay house...Some captains came in the other night, and the mistress wanted us to sleep with them.

Now let's look at the law, section 377 which has now been partly decriminalized, stands like this,

Section 377 in The Indian Penal Code
377. Unnatural offences.—Whoever voluntarily has carnal intercourse against the order of nature with any man, woman or animal, shall be punished with 1[imprisonment for life], or with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to ten years, and shall also be liable to fine. Explanation.—Penetration is sufficient to constitute the carnal intercourse necessary to the offence described in this section.

It uses two words, one against the order of nature and second derived from there Unnatural offences, ..., what is order of nature - coitus for procreation.

so masturbation, lesbian sex and anal sex with a female is also 'unnatural.'

There is another issue, Gay and Bi- a person who indulges with sex of both sex is called Bi- and not gay or lesbo. Is Gay a social, psychological behavior or only a sexual proclivity?

If it violates any rule, i am ready to close it asap.

Harami56

Banned

Topic was triggered by some discussion on a story thread, but here i am using " Gay' in different perspective.

The word gay arrived in English during the 12th century from Old French gai, most likely deriving ultimately from a Germanic source.

In English, the word's primary meaning was "joyful", "carefree", "bright and showy", and the word was very commonly used with this meaning in speech and literature. For example, the optimistic 1890s are still often referred to as the Gay Nineties. The title of the 1938 French ballet Gaîté Parisienne ("Parisian Gaiety"), which became the 1941 Warner Brothers movie, The Gay Parisian,[10] also illustrates this connotation..

By the late 17th century, it had acquired the specific meaning of "addicted to pleasures and dissipations", an extension of its primary meaning of "carefree" implying "uninhibited by moral constraints". A gay woman was a prostitute, a gay man a womanizer, and a gay house a brothel.

An example is a letter read to a London court in 1885 during the prosecution of brothel madam and procuress Mary Jeffries that had been written by a girl while slaved to a French brothel:

Now let's look at the law, section 377 which has now been partly decriminalized, stands like this,

377. Unnatural offences.—Whoever voluntarily has carnal intercourse against the order of nature with any man, woman or animal, shall be punished with 1[imprisonment for life], or with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to ten years, and shall also be liable to fine. Explanation.—Penetration is sufficient to constitute the carnal intercourse necessary to the offence described in this section.

It uses two words, one against the order of nature and second derived from there Unnatural offences, ..., what is order of nature - coitus for procreation.

There is another issue, Gay and Bi- a person who indulges with sex of both sex is called Bi- and not gay or lesbo. Is Gay a social, psychological behavior or only a sexual proclivity?

I think there is rule for this already.

Why asking it again

komaalrani

I think there is rule for this already.

Why asking it again

i know the rules, no pictures no stories on gay theme,... but its lounge where ' intellectually stimulating' discussions takes place and already there is a thread with word ' Gay' in it, in this forum only , should be seen in that perspective, i am neither advocating nor opposing only talking about how meaning of a word changes, and any ways what i and you are posting are, ...words,...hai na,...so to know about etymology, and other related issues

Ristrcted

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds
Staff member
:?:

nain11ster

Prime

Please read the amendment article of Jan 2018. First SC declered that 377 is unconstitutional.. afterward they amend the law completely ... Please check once...

What u expalin, it was 1861 law during the British rule..

komaalrani

Same word might be used in different generation and era, can be used differently in future. The context of it is important I guess.

yes and meaning and import changes

Romeo 22

In the most liberal sense, anything voluntary- not harming any other creature- shouldn't be banned/prohibited by law or any other means.

komaalrani

In the most liberal sense, anything voluntary- not harming any other creature- shouldn't be banned/prohibited by law or any other means.

I fully agree with you-consenting adults - an 18 year old can elect a government but can't take a call about his/her sexual preference.

Harami56

Banned
i know the rules, no pictures no stories on gay theme,... but its lounge where ' intellectually stimulating' discussions takes place and already there is a thread with word ' Gay' in it, in this forum only , should be seen in that perspective, i am neither advocating nor opposing only talking about how meaning of a word changes, and any ways what i and you are posting are, ...words,...hai na,...so to know about etymology, and other related issues
Are you interested in vocabulary :laugh:

I can tell you more interesting word then it. Search for swag you will find something interesting :D

• Wow
Reactions: komaalrani
Status
Not open for further replies.